[Ansteorra] Complete Participant Handbook Rules Revisions

Jean Paul de Sens jeanpauldesens at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 11:56:57 PDT 2007

<sigh> fix one problem, create another.  Harpooning *was* defined in
the old rules as cupping the end of the spear or bracing it on
something (body armor, foot, etc) when fighting. It was illegal in the
old rules, but the only way you'd ever find out about it was if you
read the glossary.  I moved it into the illegal section in the new
rules, but accidentally deleted it from the glossary.  I will add the
definition back into the glossary.

>From the prev version :

"Harpooning: Thrusting with a spear or other thrusting weapon while
pushing the butt end
of the weapon with the palm of the hand or fingers."

Jean Paul

On 6/4/07, Hal Siegel <therion at therionarms.com> wrote:

> A quick question:
>
> C. Illegal Actions The following actions are prohibited in the Kingdom of
> Ansteorra, and performing them can be grounds for sanction by the Crown or
> the Crown's representative.
>
> 2. Harpooning
>
>  ???
>
> I presume firing a spear with a barbed head and explosive charge at your
> opponent is right out, so my second guess on what "no harpooning" means is
> no overhand thrusts with a spear and shield combination. Is this
> interpretation corect? Overhand thrusts (thumb to spear butt side and
> pinky to spear head side) is pretty much the historical norm for Greeks,
> Romans, Vikings, and any other single combat shield and short spear usage.
>

>                Hal Siegel - TherionArms
>               http://www.therionarms.com

There are no simple answers, but there are many simple questions.