[Ansteorra] hiding mundane

Monica Riney dmriney at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 13 06:09:50 PDT 2007

Goldweard asked :

>> on a side note.   All this talk of high persona has
>> really gottten me thinking.    I have read many
>> different texts, and cannot find the answer.    What
>> is the appropriate title for a secular cleric besides
>> master.  I can't find an answer.
>>
>> Goldweard

Thats actually a fairly tricky question. What may be appropriate for a persona might not necessarily work within the SCA. As you have already pointed out the title of "Master" didn't always convey the meaning in period that it does on site in Ansteorra. The list of titles approved by the SCA college of Arms can be found at this address. http://www.sca.org/heraldry/titles.html

However I would point out on these tables are not necessarily an end all of what we actually do in the SCA or in Ansteorra. There is no column for titles related to having a grant of arms. putting the word "honorable" before lord or lady for some one who has a Grant is commonplace but not entirely historically correct. (that however is a discussion for another time place and thread) If you look down to the Spanish table you will find that the amongst the approved equivalents for "lord" and "lady" are respectively "Don" and "Doña". It is Ansteorran _custom_ that we use these particular titles for the members of the Order of the White Scarf.

Over all I wish you luck in your research of Clerical titles. Church titles haver always been a sticky point for many in the SCA. several have used "brother" or "sister" as a rough equivalent of Lord or Lady though I do not know of how valid these would be for a Secular Cleric.

In service
Maistir Darius of the Bells