[Ansteorra] hiding mundane

sam cooper samatha.cooper at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 10:10:51 PDT 2007

>From that list, given the original question, perhaps the style "Most Learned
Sir" (professor) or "Well Learned Sir" (master) would fit the meaning
desired? Although there is great conflict as the Sir is already a very
distinctive title within our society. Also, there is a strong caveat of the
trustworthiness of said reference must be taken into account, and the
historical and geographical provenance of the style isn't spoken of within
the reference.

Further, these styles seem more suitable to formal announcement of entry to
a ball, say, by a herald, or perhaps in the opening address of a formal
missive. I was thinking more of the written word; differences between that
and less formal letters or verbal introductions would be interesting to
discover. In looking into a very few (so far) formal letters written during
the 15th century,  the closing signature seems is enscribed Name, earl of
Place, with the title not capitalized while the geographical area is, a
difference from current usage I had not previously been aware of.

Slan go foill,
Si'le