[Ansteorra] Use of Titles (was Re: hiding mundane)

Alden Drake alden_drake at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 13 11:22:56 PDT 2007

I find the topic of proper use of titles to be somewhat ironic, since
the titles we use in the SCA are not historically proper.  You'd think
that a society that strives to recreate the period would correct itself
when it finds itself in error.  Yet for some reason a person can be a
Peer, go by the title "Master/Mistress", and not be a baron/ess or above
(how weird is that?), meanwhile, someone who has been awarded arms can
be called "Lord/Lady"! (a proper title for a Peer).  The best way I have
found to accept this is to recognize that my title is Ansteorran.  While
my persona is that of an Englishman, I hold a Grant of Arms from
Ansteorra, not England.  As such, I am willing to subscribe to such
conventions that are Ansteorran (or determined by Corpora).

HL Alden Drake