[Ansteorra] hiding mundane

Monica Riney dmriney at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 13 10:27:17 PDT 2007

A Ship Master would be basically what we now think of as a ships captain. though originally the Captain was the commander of the military contingency of a vessel and the Ship Master ran the ocean going side of things.

for a better description http://www.history.navy.mil/trivia/triv4-5j.htm

On an interesting note a "Ships Master" in some modern civilian shipping areas is a position some where in between What we tend to think of as First Mate and the old maritime position of Boson. (for US Sailors "Chief of the Boat" or "Command Master Chief" is a better equivalent) Basically an administrative and operational assistant to the Ships Captain.

 By tradition however the CO of a US Navy vessel is referred to as Captain irrelevant of rank. (one will also hear the CO often referred to as "The Old Man" or "Skipper" as well)

Darius
(formerly MM3(nuc) Riney)