[Ansteorra] Hard hitters (was Re: Armor inspections at GulfWars)

Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace sirlyonel at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 23 15:55:44 PDT 2007

Salut cozyns,

Yes, thrusting just a wee bit harder--hard enough to have actually reached
the face--is exactly what I want in order to call the shot. I expect a
killing blow to the side of my helm to be sufficiently impactive to move my
head. For a face shot, I expect enough force to actually move my helm.
Believe me, that's a huge difference in force.

Also, as for the "directed touch," the Marshal's Handbook lists that as the
minimum any kingdom should consider accepting. I consider it grossly
unrealistic. You don't need to knock my head off. You don't even have to
move my head. You do have to move the helm before I'll consider it an actual
blow.

>My take on it was always that if I am careless or inept enough to leave
>my face open and you manage to hit me there you deserve to win. I
>mean... it's my *face* you know? A heavy edged blade striking me there,
>even with minimal force, that's pretty debilitating.

Well, I can understand applying the "I left it hanging out there"
philosophy, but the truth is that I can touch your grill with a spear a hell
of a lot more easily than I can thrust your face. I don't need anything
behind the shot if I'm just trying to tag you, so I can fire it all from the
elbows.

Also, I can't recall seeing any Ansteorrans taking touch kill shots.

En Lyonel
Impedimentum via est
(The obstacle is the path)