[Ansteorra] Child safety reposts (was: Bad things)

Chris Zakes dontivar at gmail.com
Tue May 15 04:33:46 PDT 2007

Just so everybody is working with the same
information (rather than rumors, or "I think I
remember", or policies used in other groups) I am
reposting all the official announcements on this issue.

One important thing to remember is that this
policy is still under construction. If you have
suggestions, criticisms or clever ideas, *NOW* is
the time to write to the Board about them.
Venting ideas here may be soul-satisfying, but
it's unlikely to have any effect on what the Board decides to do.

#1, from April 11th:

#2, also from April 11th:

#3 from April 27th:

#4, from May 10th:
> [...]
>Currently, we are unable to implement this policy outside of North
>America. This is due to overwhelming financial charges that we felt were
>irresponsible to pass onto our membership. It is to be noted that we are
>continuing to research ways of implementing this for our international
>members in a fiscally responsible manner. Also, while we are planning to
>initially use a USA based background check vendor, we are looking into
>vendors who are authorized to conduct checks throughout North America.
>
>. Q: This is a done deal - Why are you informing us of this after the
>fact? A: It is important to note that this policy is not yet in force.
>We continue to revise and update the policy based on the input we are
>receiving from the SCA's members. Once we have finished developing the
>policy, it will be released to the populace of the SCA for comment
>before it is implemented.
>
>We have also included the original questions and the answer statement
>that was released to the SCA's members, in an effort to consolidate all
>of the questions and answers about the upcoming background check policy
>in one place. They follow below.
>
>. Q: Are Kingdoms required to implement the Society policy? A: Once
>upheld by the Board of Directors, the Kingdoms will have a time-line to
>implement the policy-or cease youth programs as a part of their activity
>offering.
>
>. Q: I had a background check for work. Can you just use that? A: No.
>All checks for this program will be done according to the same criteria
>and by the same vendor for all participants. The vendor is a licensed,
>bonded provider of background examinations.
>
>. Q: Will the SCA be privy to specific details of my background, whether
>I pass the exam or not? A: No. The SCA will receive a pass or a fail
>notice.
>
>. Q: Will my personal information be exposed to other SCA participants?
>A: Information provided to the vendor in order to perform the check is
>not provided to the SCA.
>
>. Q: How long is my pass status good for? A: It is planned that the pass
>status will be good for two years.
>
>. Q: Will all existing officers have to be checked? A: All
>officers/volunteers with supervisory positions, teaching, or direct
>control of minor participants, new or existing would require the
>clearance.
>
>Again, we would like to thank you for your concern regarding the
>upcoming policy. It is shared among many in the society. We are
>committed to seeking the opinions of our membership and taking proper
>action to insure that this is a fair process for everyone.
>
>We encourage you to continue sending your comments on the upcoming
>policy to comments at sca.org.
>
>In service,
>
>Aaron L. Lloyd - Director, SCA Inc.
>Ombudsman, Background Check Policy
>
>(Baron Aaron Palomides of Buckminster, KSCA, OP)

Reposts by Tivar Moondragon