[Ansteorra] rules

gail young gwynethb63 at yahoo.com
Tue May 15 10:51:14 PDT 2007

I have to agree here.  I think it is just a reflection of our society in general  As someone who has been in the public school system for 20 years, I can't see where more rules and litigation have improved our quality of life or the quality of adults we turn our children into.
  gwyneth

Vicki Marsh <vmarsh at twmarsh.net> wrote:

Lately, Ansteorra (and the SCA) has been becoming so legalistic and
bureaucratic that it is stifling to new growth, new membership, and the
health of old groups. Requiring baronies to take six months for their
new landed nobles selection process, not allowing baronial candidates to
answer questions in a group, requiring parents (instead of appointed and
notarized substitutes) to always be with their children during martial
competitions or fighter practices, even at age 16 and 17 when they can
drive themselves.....And that's just the tip of the iceberg as rules go.

(BTW, my 16 year old has worked for almost a year at a BBQ place with
adults and customers who have not undergone background checks, uses very
sharp knives every day, and deals with hot grills and fryers that can
burn him. I never signed a parental release form, either.)

I'm just afraid that our bureaucracy and fears of litigation will
destroy the Society for Creative Anachronism.