[Ansteorra] OT: Bedding dilemma

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed May 16 19:43:30 PDT 2007

On May 16, 2007, at 12:47 PM, Michael Gunter wrote:.

> Well, as far as space is concerned you can go period and get a
> straw sack.
> Basically a nice large sack you stuff with straw (if there is a
> site with hay,
> you might offer to pay for a bale). I've heard they are quite
> comfortable
> but I'd be worried about bringing along a few critters.

> You can get a canvas bag from Panther Primitives to put either some
> foam
> rubber in or the aforementioned straw and that should roll up
> fairly tight.

This is what I did for several years when I was flying into Pennsic.
I bought an old tablecloth or heavy muslin type sheet from a thrift
store, folded it over lengthwise and sewed it shut on two sides to
create a period looking sack. It took up little storage space and I
didn't have to worry about an air mattress springing a leak in the
middle of the two week event.

When I got to Pennsic I bought one of the straw bales that they sell
for $5, which includes their picking up and disposing of the straw
afterward, broke it up and stuffed the sack with it.

I never had any problems with bugs or other critters, but that is
partly due to it being a *straw* bale. A hay bale might have more
problems.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas