[Ansteorra] OT: Bedding dilemma

Elizabeth Hawkwood somerlidh at yahoo.com
Thu May 17 05:47:36 PDT 2007

If you connect the slat with rope, whether or not the rope stretches is moot. The slats
are what gives support.

I have used a rope bed and I loved it because it was comfortable; but it was bundlesome
because I kept it all connected. Yes, after about two nights the ropes had to be tightened,
but that was no big deal. However, unless two of you like to be together in the middle, a
rope bed is best for one person.

I have used individual slats, actually 1x4s cut to fit the width of the bed. Keeping track of
and transporting 8 individual 1x4 slats is a little tricky, but the rope connections so it can be
rolled up sounds like an excellent idea. This slat method is also great because each slat
individually "bends" to help conform to your body, much like bed springs, also making for
a comfortable night's sleep.

Currently, I am using a combination of two 1x6 slats held into the side rails by wedges, with
three 3/4" plywood pieces between them. This makes for a very sturdy bed, especially for
two large bodies, but there is no "give" as with the individual slats. Photos of the bed can be
seen here: http://dragonhawk.5u.com/bed.html. Note: we are not longer in production, but...

For each of the three types of beds, there was/is a futon mattress. No air mattresses for me,
thank you.

//Elizabeth Hawkwood
Shire of Loch Ruadh
Cook for HMS Seadrake