[Ansteorra] Just a STUPID QUESTION

Paul Gilbert niklas at pbgilbert.net
Sat Nov 10 08:35:33 PST 2007

Greetings....

The Crown Tourney that Ravens Fort hosted back when Sir Barn won the
Crown was attended by near 600 people. Sir Timo was the Steward for that
one.

Even for Ravens Fort (which has access to 130 acres) the site was very
full and busy.

HE Niklas

gail young wrote:
> I'm sure someone can respond with actual numbers, but from just being there, the numbers at Crown very greatly depending on location, weather and economy.  The ice Crown in the West had about 100, the one in Greywood about 150, but I think the one before that in Central region was more like 200. Can't remember how many that mud Crown in Ravensfort had and the last one in the North escapes me to.
>   gwyneth
>

> Patty <prand at swbell.net> wrote:
>   Just curious, what is the usual attendance at a Crown Tourney? What was the attendance at the last one at Graywood?
>
> Caitriona
> Seawinds
>
> bsmall at suddenlink.net wrote:
> No insult was meant to the good people of Seawinds (it has been too long since I've been able to make and enjoy your events).
>
> Not being privy to the deliberations of the Financial Committee, I can only guess at the reasons behind the decision.
>
> Generally, when a Kingdom reoccurring event is held in conjuction with another event, the split is 10%. Most likely due to the opinion that the additional attraction of the kingdom event will bring in more people and more profit. It would be fitting for the kingdom to benefit (at least marginally) from a situation like that.
>
> This is a special case in that Crown has already been held and the Kingdom has gotten their tithe from it (I sent it by courier myself). So it's not like the kingdom will be losing any income from not asking for a split.
>
> In the case of Melees, the addition of this extra Crown likely will not affect attendance to that event. I would surmise that, had it been attached to an event with a smaller turnout (and I only mentioned Seawinds as an example), attendance and profit could be significantly increased. I could have easily used Graywood's Battle of the Pines or any number of other events that have lower turnout. If I am mistaken in my assumption that attendance at Defender is significantly less than attendance at Bordermarch Melees, I do indeed apologize.
>
> Ansgar
>
> ---- medicfem at aol.com wrote:
>> Ansgar,
>>
>> Curious why you think it would it be any different if it was Seawinds or Bordermarch that were to?hold Crown in this sort of incident?
>> Because we are far away or because we are a shire or what?
>>
>> Why you gotta pick on the 60+ memeber shire like that? We pay our taxes!!
>>
>> Caley
>> Proud Seawinder
>> Chirurgeon in Charge of BAM
>> There will be about 20+ Seawinders attending Bordermarch

Paul Gilbert, KE5ZW             H.E. Niklas Vasilevich
niklas at pbgilbert.net      CB,CSM,KGA,OTR,ORH,Crane,AoA
512-733-3035 Cellular             Kingdom of Ansteorra

            Society for Creative Anachronism

     Texas Dept. Of Transportation, Radio Operations
      Austin, Texas                  512-506-5141
                pgilber at dot.state.tx.us

                "The Eagle has landed"
  "Sable, a double-headed eagle, a bordure engrailed or"