[Ansteorra] research papers for A&S

Robert Fitzmorgan fitzmorgan at gmail.com
Sun Nov 11 07:40:22 PST 2007

    The following is just MY take on the subject.
    There aren't any firm rules about what constitutes a good research paper
in Ansteorra, but there are some things to keep in mind.
    If the competition specifies length and format for papers then you
follow those requirements.   Often they don't
    In some larger competitions, research papers are required to be sent in
a few weeks in advance of the event to give the judges time to read them
carefully and reach a considered judgment.  In smaller competitions, (or in
larger competitions where the person running things hasn't really thought
things through), you just show up with your paper.
   If the papers are not being sent in advance, keep it as short as you can
and still cover your subject adequately.  Judges have a limited amount of
time, and may have other things to do at the event.  They often do not have
the time to read closely a 50 page paper.  Also the judge may have no
knowledge or interest in the subject of your paper.  So keep it short and to
the point.  If the subject matter requires some length to cover adequately
then consider giving the subject the length it needs but including a
summary, but understand that if the judge is busy they may only read the
summary.
     If papers are being sent in advance then you can afford to make them
longer as the judge should have more time, and in a larger, kingdom level
event they may also try and get the paper to a judge who has some expertise
in the subject matter.  Still you don't want to go on and on.  Take as much
space as you need and no more.  As in most writing, brevity is a virtue.

    The short but not very helpful answer is that the best length for a
paper is the length that the judge or judges feel like reading that day.
Judging quality varies considerably, especially in the smaller
competitions.  So what is good for one competition may not be good for
another.

Robert Fitzmorgan