[Ansteorra] Legalities of pokie things

Charlene Charette clclists1 at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 15 01:40:28 PST 2007

Robert Brown wrote:
> I know we have some lawyers out there...
>
>      On Halloween (SCA Garb doubles nicely as a quick
> costume) I had forgone a sword in favor of a simple
> dagger for functionality.  I got into a discussion
> with our security officer at work about whether or not
> it was legal.  I seem to remember being told when I
> first joined the SCA something along the lines that
> since we were considered amateur historians, it was
> not illegal for us to carry swords, maces, etc.
>      Does anyone KNOW the exact legalities?  I've
> heard the same from everyone, however. as I will one
> day tell my daughter "everyone" is not always right.
>
> Gorm

Are you in Texas or Oklahoma?  For Texas, see:

http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/statutes/docs/PE/content/htm/pe.010.00.000046.00.htm

"	(e)  The provisions of Section 46.02 prohibiting the
carrying of an illegal knife do not apply to an individual carrying
a bowie knife or a sword used in a historical demonstration or in a
ceremony in which the knife or sword is significant to the
performance of the ceremony."

Search for keyword "historical" for more information pertaining to
weapons and re-enactors.  IIRC, we have Ann Richards to thank for these
exceptions.

The same search also turned up this from a belly dancer's perspective:
http://www.only-zuul.com/abellylaw.htm

--Perronnelle

--
Law of Mechanical Repair:  After your hands become coated with grease,
your nose will begin to itch or you'll have to pee.