[Ansteorra] Ring belts vs buckles

Jean Paul de Sens jeanpauldesens at gmail.com
Sun Nov 11 17:43:20 PST 2007

That would be my thought too... A ring belt just will not inherently stay,
and will loosen constantly.  There is no reason to use it, when adding a
simple tang makes it much more effective.  And since these were "for real"
for people in the middle ages, I don't think they would do it.

JP

On Nov 11, 2007 1:22 PM, L T <ldeerslayer at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Were they truely "ring" belts...
> or had they just lost their tang?
>
> L DeerSlayer
>
> Isobel de Kirkbryde <kirkbryde at yahoo.com> wrote: BOTH are period.
>
> Yes, I know buckles were made during period.  However, ring belts were
> also worn.
>
> Master Michael Fenwick of Fotheringhay and I saw ring belts in the Viking
> exhibit at the Swedish National Historical Museum in Stockholm this summer.
>  Yes, they were worn with the same "knot" that is worn in the SCA,  The
> major difference was the width of the belt.  The ones we saw in the museum
> were about 1/2" high for the leather with appropriately sized rings.
>
> We saw exhibits that were later in period where they used buckles and
> belts with holes, much like our modern belts. Moreover, we know from
> archaeological grave-digs, whose accounts Mistress Roane and Master Michael
> have translated, that Swedes in the Viking era also used buckles remarkably
> like those we use today.
>
> So both are period: ring-belts and buckled belts alike.
>

> Lady Isobel de Kirkbryde leanbh a �na
> Guild Head of the Guild of St. Camillus de Lellis, Kingdom of Ansteorra
> V-Scribe Canton of Skorragardr
> Deputy Northern Regional Scribe
> Member of Clann Lochlan
> Member of Clann Haddock
> Member of House MOO

"Write with nouns and verbs, not with adjectives and adverbs. The adjective
 hasn't been built that can pull a weak or inaccurate noun out of a tight
place."