[Ansteorra] Legalities of pokie things

Chris Zakes dontivar at gmail.com
Sat Nov 17 13:09:15 PST 2007

At 10:31 PM 11/16/2007, you wrote:

>It appears that state law does allow the carrying of swords for
>re-creational use.  As to the SCA providing immunity...perhaps I
>wasn't quite clear in my original post.  Even in my conversation
>with our security officer I did not represent the blue card as a
>"conceal carry permit for pokies", rather as a means if questioned
>as helping establish my bona fides as having a legitamate purpose
>for wearing it (in general, not specifically as a halloween costume,
>that just started the talk) not just a random wacko with a sword.
>
>   Gorm

Ultimately it boils down to "don't be stupid."

If you're carrying a sword at an SCA event or to/from an SCA event,
you're unlikely to run into problems. Brandishing it in an
environment where folks aren't expecting swords is ill-advised.
Carrying it into a bar, liquor store or even a convenience store that
sells beer is not a good idea either. If you're stopped by a cop, be
as polite and reasonable as possible.

Hey, it could be worse. In Australia, you have to be an SCA member,
part of another historical group or a member of a recognized fencing
club to even *own* a sword (and that includes sword-shaped objects
like fencing equipment, not just the sharp stuff.) Any time you're
not actually using it, it has to be kept locked in a gun safe. I
expect they'll be banning rocks and sticks next.

         -Tivar Moondragon