[Ansteorra] need website help...

Ulf Gunnarsson ulfie at cox.net
Fri Sep 7 23:01:24 PDT 2007

Zubeydah Jamilla al-Badawiyya wrote:
> Within the last 6 months, a fellow Ansteorran (I can't recall whom) pointed
> me in the direction of an illumination website resource.  All I can remember
> is that the site is the work of some monks, whose order is dedicated to
> preserving knowledge, specifically books.  They had gone through countless
> manuscripts and scanned the illuminated letters. The letters were sorted
> alphabetically, and there were literally dozens of examples of each letter.

There is http://www.scriptorium.columbia.edu/ and
http://libwww.library.phila.gov/medievalman/ (which was mentioned eight
months ago on the Scriptoris list).

Another one that has high-tech'ed a little is
http://www.bl.uk/onlinegallery/ttp/ttpbooks.html
This site allows for a Shockwave interaction to visually turn the pages.
Good for kids or for people who want to read the oldest printed book, or
scan through Vesalius's book on anatomy.

My favorite is still http://www.bodley.ox.ac.uk/ and it looks like they
have an agreement now with Google to scan and make available their one
million books or so. I may never leave the computer again.

None of which answers your question.  Mailing list tangential discourse
is mandatory, after all.