[Ansteorra] Flash Photography at events

Zubeydah Jamilla al-Badawiyya zubeydah at northkeep.org
Tue Sep 11 16:12:19 PDT 2007

Fatthiopap Laszlo raises some very good points about the beauty of oral
history, and the 'gosh did you see at court, when...'   Alas, these stories
are lost over time, and as the participation of the witnesses ebbs and
flows. He referenced three stories: "Michael of Monmouthshire riding into
court on a shield a la Surfboard, Sir Emrys' knighting, The Impervious
shield of Sir Erasmus, and others. "  I've been participating for six years
here in Ansteorra -- I've never heard any of those stories.  (I would love
to, btw.)

But when I am able to reference a photograph of what happened in a court,
it's far more likely that I or others will hear those stories - there's a
visual cue for people to respond to, rather than relying on memory or the
telephone game of, "I heard such and such happened".. I've been actively
soliciting such stories for several years now, and it's rare that anyone is
willing to provide such a description. It tends to get boiled down a dry
recitation of awards, and little else.

Take for example, the court at Namron's Beltane.  I could show you:  A bard
was called into court and asked to perform a specific piece. Many in the
audience were visibly moved. Moments after he finished, the Laurels were
called forth. The Crown asked if he would accept a Peerage.  The bard, with
the gracious consent of Their Majesties, half dashed, half stumbled in shock
to where his lady sat nearby.  He swept her up, holding tightly to her
hands. He asked her consent, knowing it would affect her life, too, should
he accept. She granted it, and he embraced her.  Or, I could tell you:
"Finnican was asked to join the Laurels, and it was cool."

I wouldn't have wanted to miss that moment, and through a camera, I was able
to share it with others.  The story is told clearly, in images, and with
additional snippets of words. Shared with all who couldn't make it, who will
never meet anyone who was there, or even from other Kingdoms who know and
care about this bard.

Most courts occur in the evening. Most evening courts require some form of
artificial light. A flash takes all of a second's interruption, to capture a
moment for participants and friends, Peers and others from across the
society. Why rob them of the ability to share in that moment?

Waxing loquacious,

Zubeydah