[Ansteorra] Flash Photography at events

Phocas phocas at bordermarch.org
Wed Sep 12 16:38:00 PDT 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Dudley
Sent: Tuesday, September 11, 2007 12:55 PM

My question is, how do you feel about the use of flash at events?

--
- Mike (aka Collwyn)

I've been a Professional Photographer for 30 years- making a living from
photography.  When I came into the SCA almost 6 years ago, I loved and still
love using my skills for SCA benefit and enjoyment.

  I have the desire to photograph different aspects of events, but really
like to also get good pictures for others of those special times and
recognitions like awards in court and ceremonies.   I quickly found the
struggle between getting a good photo or being un-obtrusive or disruptive.

I've read many great comments on this topic.  I can see and understand the
need for flash to get that best picture or sometimes to get any picture at
all.   This hit me strongest at my 3rd event when court ended up being well
after dark, in a pavilion by a couple torch lights.  What I found and saw
was being that dark, when my flash fired it was so bright, not only was it
being disruptive but was blinding people for a few moments while they got
the spots out of there eyes so they could see.  I decided I didn't want to
or had the right to disturb the ambiance.  The only time I'll use flash at
an event is for posed pictures.  I still strive to get the best pictures I
can.  A better camera and an image stabilization lens has helped.  I've
learned to accept the lesser quality image for not bothering others and the
ambience. Most courts seem to have enough lighting to record the event and
get an image acceptable enough.  See:
http://bordermarch.org/Gallery/bam06court

Sometimes it is just too dark. You are going to get blurry people from their
movement during exposure.... but at that point it is so dark that your flash
is going to be noticed/disruptive to everyone AND blind everyone looking in
your general direction. For me, that's not acceptable.  I like the
suggestion of having some posed pictures afterwards.  Robin's suggestion to
ask is very good advice. After my decision to not use flash I've shot a few
things that were too bad to share and skipped taking anything a couple times
because I knew I wouldn't get anything useable.  If I'm asked to capture
something by those involved, I'll use flash and limit my shots to the very
important and significant things with my flash set at as low a power setting
as I can and still get an acceptable image.

   As a professional photographer, I'm being paid to photograph. I have a
responsibility to the job- with in reason, I do what I need to do to get the
best possible images I can capture. Most churches have rules against flash
during the wedding ceremony, but even if I am allowed to use flash I won't
after the bride reaches the alter. Otherwise I almost always use some fill
flash.

   As an SCA participant I feel I have a responsibility to others not to
spoil their enjoyment and the ambience.  So I've chosen a different priority
and chose to try and get the best pictures I can without using flash.

Robin put it so well with:
>----------
 The social contract required for hundreds of people to get along when we
are not in full agreement about what we're doing comes in two parts:
1. Be unobtrusive with your modern thing, so it doesn't hurt the ambiance
of their persona thing.
2. Ignore somebody else's unobtrusive modern thing while you are doing your
period thing.
So when deciding how to take pictures, you must deal with a single crucial
fact:   The absolute, most obtrusive, invasive, high-profile action you can
take with a camera is to use a flash in a dark hall.  Nobody in the entire
hall can avoid it.  It is the equivalent of shouting, "Hey, everybody,
look!  Twenty-first century technology!

  So, ideally, you should ask the people most involved whether the flash
would bother them as much as it does me, and whether they would prefer a
flash-free ceremony or better pictures.