[Ansteorra] Reproducing Buttons

Michael Kahn Kahn at West-Point.org
Wed Apr 9 16:43:36 PDT 2008

I'd suggest using the original to make clay molds.  You can then cast the
replicas in either pewter or brass.  I haven't made clay molds before, but
I'm sure we have artisans who have.

If you're up to reproducing the raised pattern on the front, you can carve
a soapstone mold and cast pewter replicas.  That's not really very
difficult.  A two-part mold would let you cast the buttons with a rounded
tab on the back, and you could use a drill press to drill a hole through
it to turn it into a shank.  This approach wouldn't be difficult, because
a raised pattern is the norm in a carved mold.  Even with just a
single-button mold, the casting would only be a matter of a couple of
hours.  Drilling and cleaning up the buttons would take a bit longer.
Techniques used by plastic model and figurine painters (dark wash and
dry-brushing) could produce some very striking buttons that would stand up
well to gentle-cycle washing, but I don't know whether that paint would
stand up to dry cleaning solvents.

  Miles Grey
  Wiesenfeuer