[Ansteorra] Reproducing Buttons

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Apr 9 22:05:19 PDT 2008

If you decide to carve your own molds, which does give you the
advantage of modifying the design you are thinking of or making a
completely new design, you might want to take a look through these
files in the CRAFTS section of the Florilegium:

casting-lnks      (22K)  7/14/06    Links to info on medieval metal
casting by
                                        Dame Aoife Finn of Ynos Mon
casting-msg      (164K)  3/ 1/08    Casting pewter and other metals.

However, making casts of the buttons you have using modern rubber and
techniques may give you greater fine detail.

Of course I've also thought having a set of buttons with my coat of
arms on them would be nice, if I had a persona that knew what buttons
were.

Stefan
1150s Anglo-Norman

On Apr 9, 2008, at 6:43 PM, Michael Kahn wrote:
> I'd suggest using the original to make clay molds.  You can then
> cast the
> replicas in either pewter or brass.  I haven't made clay molds
> before, but
> I'm sure we have artisans who have.
>
> If you're up to reproducing the raised pattern on the front, you
> can carve
> a soapstone mold and cast pewter replicas.  That's not really very
> difficult.  A two-part mold would let you cast the buttons with a
> rounded
> tab on the back, and you could use a drill press to drill a hole
> through
> it to turn it into a shank.  This approach wouldn't be difficult,
> because
> a raised pattern is the norm in a carved mold.  Even with just a
> single-button mold, the casting would only be a matter of a couple of
> hours.  Drilling and cleaning up the buttons would take a bit longer.
> Techniques used by plastic model and figurine painters (dark wash and
> dry-brushing) could produce some very striking buttons that would
> stand up
> well to gentle-cycle washing, but I don't know whether that paint
> would
> stand up to dry cleaning solvents.
>
>   Miles Grey
>   Wiesenfeuer
>
> JOHN KELLER wrote:
>> I am looking to make copies (about 100) of a brass button I have.
>> It is
>> about 3/4" diamter and has a raised pattern on the front.  Does
>> anyone
>> have any suggestions on the best way to go about doing this?  And the
>> final product does not necessarily have to be metal so long as it is
>> sturdy enough for wear and preferably able to tolerate dry cleaning.

--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com