[Ansteorra] [aten] Passing of a venerable friend

Ronnie Hodges womrn at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 1 10:16:12 PDT 2008

Lord Aengus was active in the SCA as early as the mid-1970's.  Ansteorra's own Jonathan and Willow awarded him arms from the Atenveldt thrones on December 9, 1978.  Petruccio and I each have been honored to share friendship with him from our separate starts in the SCA in the 1980's.  (As an example of how true he was to his friends, he risked our disfavor by opposing our marriage before we wed, perhaps knowing that doing so would support and strengthen the bond we made under vows: he was that perceptive and foresighted.  All I can say from 20 years later is: his peculiar psychology worked).

I ask that any who have memories, stories or photos of this gentle wit to send them to womrn at hotmail.com so that we may compile a book of memories to chronicle whatever we can of "Unca Wu's" life for his family and friends.  Please don't feel you have to confine the stories to SCA activities.

I'm reminded of an Aengus story that expressed his frustration with the necessary, but unfortunately "blinkered", bureaucratic and safety requirements for commercial airline passengers.  Predating 9/11 by years, the incident was shortly after airports installed metal detectors -- and shortly after Lord Aengus had broken a thigh bone in a motorcycling accident.  Although he told the attendant when he limped up to the device on his cane that he had a metal pin in his thigh, the attendant insisted that he walk through the detector.  Predictably, the alarm went off.  Directed to the pad to be "wanded", still limping on his cane, Aengus again explained that a metal pin was stabilizing his thigh bone.  The attendant should have been unsurprised when the wand alarm also went off as it neared the pin -- or perhaps it was "policy" to respond to a wand alarm by calling airport security.  Never one to suffer fools, an irritated Aengus decided that only seeing the scarred evidence would prove the pin.  He dropped his pants.

A true Scotsman, Aengus was "regimental".  With no further ado, abashed airport security allowed the ruffled Aengus to continue his journey.

For humor, wit, wisdom, intellect, music that harmonized with and expressed one's soul, human foibles and compassionate understanding with no-nonsense (if cynical) adherence to honor and reality, Aengus always will be a memorable spirit who celebrated life.  From the grief of losing him for these upcoming years comes the joy of knowing he will greet us when our turns come.
Ronnie.