[Ansteorra] need doumunation on wood and leather burning

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Aug 30 22:18:04 PDT 2008

On Aug 29, 2008, at 7:03 AM, willowdewisp at juno.com wrote:

> I have been trying to find out about period use of branding or
> burning on leather or wood. Do any of you have any resources I
> could look at at?

Did you look in the Florilegium?

Well, it wouldn't have done you a lot of good. :-) since I didn't
have much there on pyrography.

However, after reading your request I remembered that I had been
given an article a while back, but I'd never finished editing it and
getting it online. However, I have now done so.

Take a look at this new file in the CRAFTS section of the
Florilegium. It is composed of some of the A&S documentation this
lady put together  as well as the handout she created for her 'how-
to' class on pyrography. It also has a fairly good bibliography as
well as giving several examples. Unfortunately leather and wood often
don't last very long to be found in archeological digs.

Pyrography-art    (22K)  8/30/08    "Pyrography" by Lady Lillian the
Wandering
                                        Artist. (woodburning)

For those interested in pewter casting, I also just uploaded this
first file and updated the second, in the same section.

cast-cutlefsh-msg  (6K)  8/26/08    Casting pewter using cuttlefish
molds.
casting-msg      (184K)  8/29/08    Casting pewter and other metals.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com