[Ansteorra] for the Viking Personas

L T ldeerslayer at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 27 19:23:46 PST 2008

Actually... she based it on some well preserved garments from a Russian find...

Others have published information about the same garments and are presenting a paper at the NESAT conference about the find... I put the url to their interpretation in my first e-mail... (it's alot more probable than hers in my opinion)

There are a ton of interpretations of the "apron dress/pinafore"...
including 2 panel wrap, 1 panel wrap, and various gored and presumably fitted garments... the garment from the Russian find looks like a cross between the fitted garments and a peplos... and there is still lots of room for interpretation...

I'm not fond of her interpretation...but it is similar (just lower down the body)
to other older extrapolations... the biggest problem is that she's using her interpretation of a set of garments from the Russian find to insist that all of the previous research and interpretation of the Swedish finds were BS... I would have found her much more credible if she just put her interpretation out there as an alternative to the Russian one... since that's the garment she based it on...

L Deerslayer

Susan Calafrancesco <scalafrancesco at drakkar.org> wrote: L T wrote:
> Apparently she's pretty much been discredited by the museum she was donating the garment to... for trying to pass off shoddy research as "fact"...
>
> Personally, I think it was just a grab at fame and controversy... that backfired because she didn't do good research ;)

Just goes to show, you can't believe everything you read. I discredited
her the minute I read this from the "Viking Women Dressed Provocatively"
article: (Until now, anthropological evidence showed a Viking woman
wearing an apron on top of a linen robe. The apron consisted of two
rectangular pieces of cloth, in which strings on the back panel attached
to the front with brooches) It was quite obvious she did her research
based on poorly illustrated cocktail table books on Vikings and not
actual finds.

Oksana