[Ansteorra] Member or Not?

Rose & Chad love at roseandchad.net
Thu Jan 10 09:44:04 PST 2008

That is a very good point and would be true in this case... IF it were mentioned on either of the pages that I quoted before. However, it is never mentioned that membership might be different in different areas. It doesn't even list the standard disclaimer pointing everyone toward written documents that our Kingdom websites require. It also does not have a link that says 'Disclaimer' or some such that might lead you to an area that gives you these details, which is a standard in business sites.

  One of the pages (Not the one where you actually purchase the membership.) does include a link to a copyright notice, but not a disclaimer. The copyright notice link contains the standard disclaimer, but courts tend to think that a hidden disclaimer (even if it is hidden unintentionally) is not a legal disclaimer, as someone looking to purchase a membership is not very likely to be concerned about copyright issues.

  Once again, it seems that these pages are at fault, rather than actual SCA policies. The pages in question are not even maintained by SCA Inc., although SCA Inc. is still responsible for thier content, which says that I am a member.

  Rose the Obnoxious

cathal at mindspring.com wrote:

> You are wrong. It is up to the people who write the text to know exactly what they are selling. It doesn't matter where or who the people who wrote the laws are. Most websites are done by outside firms nowadays, anyway. A purchase is a legally binding agreement. In this case, it says that I am pruchasing a membership. It specifies that the additional benefit of being a Sustaining member is that you will receive publications. That's it. That's all it says. So it implies that the memberships are the same, except concerning publications. Therefore, the entire SCA, as represented by SCA, Inc. is legally obliged to treat them the same, except concerning publications. This may not be how our laws read, but it is how the mundane laws read, and mundane laws supercede SCA law.

Good poinst; however they might be overidden by one consideration: The information presented in any informational format except the official printed versions of the governing documents available for inspection at the Milpitas office (or their certified copies)is specifically listed as not binding on the SCA, Inc. (i.e. there are disclaimers which state directly that in the case of a conflict by any point of information with the printed versions, the printed version is the correct and true source).

The devil being in the details and the parsing of the legal mind, that is an important limitation.

Cathal.
(lives in Meridies but lurks across the Known Worlde, bona fides available upon request)