[Ansteorra] Subscribing vs Sustaining

Sir Morgan Buchanan morganbuchanan at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 11 13:33:42 PST 2008

I've watched this discussion a long time... and I need to weigh in on a
couple points.

1)  No... the example you listed below COULD be counted far below the 70
bodies they show, not "would"...it depends on the types of memberships
people OPT for, as has been outlined a number of times.  If every married
couple had a subscription and an associate, I'm not sure how your example
would fall below 30 with the married couples alone, but that's neither here
nor there.

2)  The exact way memberships are counted is actually immaterial.  I happen
to agree with you that adult associate memberships should be counted because
that's the pool of bodies from which a group can draw upon to gather
officers and workers.  However, in order to make the argument you have been
making for some time on this subject, you must operate under the assumption
that required membership numbers wouldn't change with the change in
counting.

See, the organization KNOWS that with X number of Sustaining or Subscribing
or whatever-you-want-to-call-them memberships will come Y number of adult
associated memberships.  It's not a perfect science, but that ratio probably
hasn't changed significantly over the years.  So, we (SCA, inc) could
certainly just start counting all adult memberships, but that would probably
cause a realignment in the requirements for a group.  So no, instead of 5
"subscribing" members, they now require 10 or 15 "adult" members for a
shire.  Instead of requireing 25 for a Barony, they'd require 50, or more.
Net effect?  Very likely none.

The only time it seems people get concerned is at times like this when a
group is having difficulty maintaining status, or when a group is trying to
achieve higher status.  I've watched princepalities "go kingdom" and there's
always a big push to get people to "upgrade" their associate memberships to
buff the numbers.  Once that group becomes permenant, people fall back to
the way they've normally done things, like 1 subscribing and 1 associate for
a married couple which is common.  Not very many people seem to be concerned
with upgrading when things are "normal".

Just some thoughts.

Respectfully,
Morgan