[Ansteorra] [Southern] CLOSED MEETINGS

estarkey at camalott.com estarkey at camalott.com
Mon Jan 14 08:29:42 PST 2008

Yes, it is simplier to close the meetings.  But throughout my time in the
SCA as an officer,  I found it was much better to invite the populace to the
officer meetings, and set aside a time after the meeting for general
discussion and comment.  The first few times, I had to remind the populace
to save their comments until the set discussion time, but not very many
times.  It was all good. Everyone realized that they could come and see what
was going on, that there were no plots or dark secrets.  There was just
boring business stuff that they could put their two cents in about later.
They got to learn a bit more about the paperwork and what an officer did,
how things were decided.  We actually got better imput from the populace
during the open discussion time as they had a bit of time to think about
what they wanted to say, didn't just repeat stuff we'd already mentioned,
and they didn't think we were keeping anything from them or having secret
meetings.

HE AmaRyah
Mendersham