[Ansteorra] What makes a favorite event?

Richard Threlkeld rjt at softwareinnovation.com
Sun Jan 20 18:39:59 PST 2008

Your Grace,

I am from Elfsea and am proud to be able to say so. Each group has its own
personality as does each person. Most people can enjoy living in most
groups, but there is occasionally a disconnect. I'm sorry you have not felt
the warmth and welcome others have found with us. We certainly have tried
over the years.

We like to participate in the full breadth of the middle ages. We have two
calendar events. Elfsea Defender is relatively high persona and has various
themes. It used to do culture camps which were definitely persona venues,
but the people who put them on became tired and, rather than burn out, we
moved to other themes. We may well experiment with them again as it has been
a while. The other is Elfsea Springfaire which is generally more of a
country fair event. It is much lower in pageantry, but can still be strongly
persona.

I have always admired your ability to get into a persona and stay there
throughout an event. I fondly remember some of my earliest events where you
did that and graciously invited me into your persona. I learned much from
that.

We do many other events, Kingdom level and off-calendar, including colleges
and other things. It is true that Elfsea is more known for its service than
for its persona. We are developing a reputation for excellence in Arts and
Sciences also. Some of our people are very into persona play and others are
not. Perhaps gentle and patient work by example and by teaching those who
want to be taught could make us known for persona play also. Complaining
about it will probably not be as effective.

You have much to offer the Kingdom and Elfsea, but you must lead people and
not try to drive them toward your goals. You must show them what you see of
value in your goals and make it easy for them to go in that direction. And
if they choose another road, you should find the good on that road and find
joy with them.

In service,
Caelin on Andrede