[Ansteorra] High Personna

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 21 09:12:48 PST 2008

> I agree with you 100%. I try to act in a way that my 12th century persona> would. My problem is that I am too much of a mushmouth to articulate the> way a 12th century persona would. Something I need to work on... :)
Although copying speech patterns and language would be nice
I don't think it is entirely necessary for creating the right
atmosphere. Remember, although their writings are beautiful
and the language was definately different they were just talking.
They weren't trying to be eloquent in most cases. This was just
how people talked. I've heard that Shakespeare was renowned
because he used the language of the streets in his plays. We
consider it stilted and elegant but his audience was happy to hear
someone NOT being stilted and elegant. It's just different perceptions.
I can go to France and not understand a word they say. But to
the French, they are just talking.

So, don't worry about articulation, just talk. Now learning maybe
key phrases or oaths your character could use and sprinkling them in,
casually not as a "See how authentic I am!?" mode. And you will
be in personna.

Gunthar