[Ansteorra] Events in the Last Five years

Mystique Mystique at phulesgold.com
Mon Jan 21 10:51:17 PST 2008

Absolutely!!!

Helena has camped with us so she knows how we do things...

There is NO EXCUSE NOR REASON why one can't be both modern and period at events.

We have a EzUp canopy.. it's green.. we have nylon walls for it.. ok.. NOT
PERIOD.. ok, so what.. inside we have two very modern tables and two coolers..
well, we just use plain bed sheets and throw them over the top.. HEY HIDDEN..
Helena has her wooden cabinet where we hide our spices/condiments. Under the
tables, under the sheets we hide our coolers (we plan to build fasad boxes to
cover them later) we have a few modern camp folding chairs.. a throw or sheet or
blanket  over them.. HEY HIDDEN.. I do have patterns for making actual chair
covers that fit those style chairs.. but sometimes money is tight so buying
fabric isn't possible and it's expensive.

We plan on using solid color cheap cotton bed sheets (we have the pattern found
online) to make a fasad cover to toss over the canopy w/ walls to hide the very
modern.

We have leather and cloth satchels and pouches to carry our very modern first
aid kits, and personal things like a wallet (for shopping) and a cell phone (so
kids who stayed home can call in an emergency) and things like my medications
(diabetic) and even a cloth bag to carry a waterbottle when I DON'T want to hang
a mug from my waist (gets annoying and heavy) or in my hand.

Yes our tents are modern.. and we DON'T PLAN on buying an actual period tent..
way to damn expensive.. so, we plan to buy a 10'x20' portable garage and make
the cloth/canvas fasad to cover it.

When we aren't going to an activity and are hanging out at our campsite.. hubby
sits at a table and works on leather, bone, or wood or hand makes string for
bows. Or he will fix/repair his armour. Or, if he has his books with him.. he
does heraldry. I have a hair net loom or will work with leather or perhaps minor
bookbinding or making tokens. Or we just sit with friends and enjoy good drink,
food and conversation.

Yes, we bring a tripod grill with us for camp cooking and we have a small
coleman two burner stove. The stove stays hidden in the canopy, and the tripod
grill is a modern.. but period style grill. And quite frankly I LIKE modern
bathrooms versus a portajon and won't give up my shower, but when I have too, I
adapt and overcome.. and I bring my very modern wipes, waterless shampoo and a
small plastic sink tub to wash in.. even use it to wash our feast gear well
enough to get it home and REALLY wash it. We have our hanging candle lamps and
our modern flashlights. (and I won't go into a portajon without a flashlight)
hehe.

Needless to say.. there is nothing wrong with having modern and medieval
TOGETHER.. and it CAN BE DONE.. just takes a little imagination.

So, do your modern sanitary cooking.. just use a on the ground grill (something
just off the ground) and use a dutch oven (so it looks period). Hide your modern
tables and chairs with throws or sheets and covers when you can't afford to make
or buy period style chairs. Keep your Gladware containers in a box under the
table hidden by the sheet. Hide your hand sanitizer in a pouch or a small wooden
box or cabinet. Keep that "Johnson and Johnson" first aid kit plastic box inside
a cloth satchel over your shoulder.

I like authentic shoes.. but I can't afford to make/buy leather and keep it
sealed and waterproof on the soles.. so I took a pair of those slip on canvas
shoes.. cut all but 1/2 inch of the canvas off above the sole .. turned them
inside out and sewed some soft leather to the canvas.. turn them back and now I
have leather shoes with a modern sole.

So, BE PERIOD in a MODERN way and you can still LIVE THE DREAM and have fun.

Maire O'Halowrane
House MAL
Kingdom Lands
Southern Region