[Ansteorra] Ansteorra Digest, Vol 21, Issue 55

Jay Rudin rudin at ev1.net
Sun Jan 13 17:39:10 PST 2008

Lady Morrigan wrote:

> Unto Robert Fitzmorgan:
>
> In re: Tivar's letters:
>
> One little problem with, say, Blacklake meeting at Bonwicke and Bonwicke
> at
> Blacklake etc:
> Please GET THIS: THE TWO ARE 120 (ONE HUNDRED TWENTY) MILES APART!!!!!
>
> How would it be if we were Kingdom and we told Steppes that you had to go
> play in Byrn Galad or Bjornsborg every week or two? Would  YOU BE ABLE TO
> AFFORD THE GAS MONEY AND YOUR MUNDANE LIFE TOO?

No, of course not, and nobody has told you to, either.  Steppes holds
fighter practices in two different cities right now (not counting the
canton) and meetings in several cities and two counties -- at least.
People in the southern part of Steppes have been holding their own meetings
and guilds for some years now, for the exact reasons you give -- distance,
time and cost.  I've been to fighter practices in Elfsea in at least four
different cities.

It's not true that Bonwicke can only have one official practice, or can
only have them in one city.  The change would be that the local deputies
would have to call the overall deputy once a month, and then only one of
you has to send in a monthly report.

For normal weekly or monthly activities, this would reduce the level of
work required.  The only area it will hurt is in the number of offical
events a branch is allowed to hold.  And the problem there doesn't come
from this action, but from the silly idea that Ansteorra is served by
getting rid of successful, profitable events.

What's going on here is streamlining the bureacracy.  If I lived in such a
shire, all guilds and practices at my house would continue, but the
practices would be unofficial until I could arrange for a deputy marshall
in the local area, which is *much* easier than arranging for a local
marshal.

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin