[Ansteorra] Regalia vs. Insignia

Jay Rudin rudin at ev1.net
Wed Jan 16 07:27:20 PST 2008

Kaitlyn recommended:

> Or how about Regalia vs. Insignia?

This one's actually extremely frustrating.  Although the etymology of the
word seem to make "regalia" mean only royal insignia, it's just not true.
My doctoral hood is always refered to as academic regalia.  Etymology is
not definition, or "digital computing" would mean counting on your fingers.

I have the same problem with "smalls".  I know that it means underwear, but
it was also used to mean children in the 1500s, so I can't complain about
the current usage.

>> Can tomorrow's lesson be the difference between "reign" and "rein"?  :-)

If I were to start a grammar and usage column, the first two would be its /
it's and their / there / they're.  I'd also point out that we shouldn't
call our cars, trucks and vans "dragons".  Our medieval and Renaissance
forebears went to events in cars, trucks and vans.

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin