[Ansteorra] Regalia vs. Insignia

Cisco Cividanes engtrktwo at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 07:46:23 PST 2008

> it was also used to mean children in the 1500s, so I can't complain about the current usage.

And you can document this? I ask because I have encountered some rather
militant opinions that say "smalls" is both not period and condescending
to children... but thats another story :)

> If I were to start a grammar and usage column, the first two would be its / it's and their / there / they're.
...no comment (hides his writing from the academic-type person) ;-)

> I'd also point out that we shouldn't call our cars, trucks and vans "dragons".  Our medieval and Renaissance forebears went to events in cars, trucks and vans.

Really? How so... what were the applications of the terms in period? I
know a cart was a small Car, (wagon) thats the same pattern that we use
to get "helmet" from "Helm".  But Truck and Van... I was honestly under
the impression that those were post-industrial developments. This is the
type of stuff that I actually think about in my spare time (well, some
of it anyway).

Ivo