[Ansteorra] Group Status Changes

Chris Zakes dontivar at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 13:55:21 PDT 2008

At 06:04 AM 7/16/2008, you wrote:
>In Alden Pharamond's response....
>
>"In addition, the SCA is regarded as far more of a "fringe" group in  these
>areas than in, say, HOUSTON. (I actually had one Lady ask me (in  a
>frightened voice) at a Demo if this was some sort of religion...) That  makes
>it difficult to recruit. The attitude is pervasive...even in a city  that has
>3 Universities (Abilene... but they are all *Christian*  universities; with
>all of the built-in repression and intolerance that image  invokes.)"
>

>Gee, I couldn't guess why someone from the one of those  universities might
>be hesitant to get involved.

*I* can. Some years back, there was a self-proclaimed "Expert on
Cults" going around to various law-enforcement groups in Texas,
explaining how things like Dungeons and Dragons were Tools of Satan,
leading kids down the path to Hell. The SCA was another of his
targets. If any of that mindset is still around, I can see how the
SCA could have problems.

Plus, to someone who grew up in an area where football and cars are
the primary things in life, we *do* look a little weird. <G>

         -Tivar Moondragon