[Ansteorra] "Are you in a play?" (was: Group status changes)

Chris Zakes dontivar at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 13:51:00 PDT 2008

At 01:06 PM 7/17/2008, you wrote:
>Another Blackfox moment:
>
>one strip showed a variety of responses to the question "Are you in a play?"

You have to be careful about that, though. There's a story about Don
Jeremy and Don Durmast stopping in a convenience store in College
staqtion on the way to an event. The clerk asked if they were in a
play, they said yes. Next he wanted to know what play, so they said
"Cyrano de Bergerac". So next he wanted to know who they were playing...

It turns out he was a theatre student at A&M who'd just been studying Cyrano.

My normal response is along the lines of "No, I'm in a group that
studies the Middle Ages and Renaissance by re-creating it, rather
than just reading about it, and I'm on my way to a tournament (or
Coronation, sword-fighting practice, etc.)"

If I'm feling particularly whimsical, I may say "Yes, 'Death of a
Salesman.' Are you a salesman?"

...And then there was the lady at Houston Intercontinental Airport
who saw me in my full Elisabethan outfit and asked "Aren't those the
kind of clothes they wore back in the 1920s?"

         -Tivar Moondragon