[Ansteorra] Group Status Changes

Chris Zakes dontivar at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 13:47:18 PDT 2008

At 07:56 AM 7/16/2008, you wrote:

>Thank you for pointing that out.  I often feel there is a prejudice
>in the SCA toward Christianity in any form.  I have been lectured
>because someone overheard a *private* conversation in which Biblical
>scripture was quoted, yet it is perfectly acceptable for a group to
>hold a pagan ceremony in the clearing down the road.  I'm all for
>their right to do so, please don't misunderstand, but I also know
>that an offer of a group Bible study at say, my campsite, would
>bring down the roof (separation of  Church and  SCA).

That *shouldn't* happen. The "seperation of church and SCA" rule
primarily means that you can't have formal religious activities as
part of official SCA events. For example, doing a Coronation ceremony
that was heavily Christian-t or Pagan-themed would be considered Bad
Form. But nobody blinks at clerical personae, someone wearing a cross
or pentacle, or at folks having SCA weddings of whatever religious
flavor suits them. Nor do people boggle at Twelfth Night or Candlemas
(both Catholic holidays) or at "Beltane" or "Samhain" (Pagan high holy days.)

For that matter, at week-long SCA events like the Twentieth and
Twenty-fifth Year celebrations, there were both Pagan and Christian
religious gatherings on site in various camps.

         -Tivar Moondragon