[Ansteorra] "Freaking the Mundanes"

Jay Rudin rudin at ev1.net
Fri Jul 18 05:52:37 PDT 2008

Years ago, I went to a small general store outside of Texarkana, in full
costume.  The place was classic -- it even had two old men playing checkers
in the back.  I found the things I needed, and went up to the lady at the
cash register.  She and I exchanged basic pleasantries, and I was just
waiting for it.  I knew it was coming, and it finally happened, as I turned
to leave.

"'Scuse me, hon, I gotta ask you sump'n."

"Yes, ma'am, I'm in the Society for Creative Anachronism.  We're a
non-profit ..."

"Oh, I know all about the SCA, hon.  No, it's your accent.  Where you
from?"

Ummmm...

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin