[Ansteorra] "We know you're wishin' that we'd go awaaaayyy..."

HerrDetlef herrdetlef at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 07:19:36 PDT 2008

Be mindful of the differences between inquisitions in general, the Spanish
Inquisition, and the Roman Inquisition.

Several inquisitions were established in Europe as early as the late 12th
century to deal with a variety of so-called heresies and apostasies, such as
the Cathars and the Templars.  From the 13th century, Rome charged the Order
of Preachers (Dominicans) with the task of prosecuting inquisitions.

The Spanish Inquisition is a much more specific movement that was instituted
by King Ferdinand II of Aragon and Queen Isabel I of Castile in 1478, as
Master Robin said, to rout out Jews and Muslims from Spain.  This movement
later spilled into other Spanish possessions such as the Netherlands in an
effort to eradicate Protestant movements in those areas.

The Holy Office of the Inquisition was established in Rome in the sixteenth
century (around the time that the Society of Jesus was founded; I wonder how
much control a religious society in its infancy would have over an office
established to do something the Dominicans and other religious orders had
been doing for centuries), and that institution dealt with alleged
theological and scientific heresies that sprang up as a result of the
Renaissance and Reformation, among other things like witchcraft.  This is
the institution that is known today as the Congregation for the Doctrine of
the Faith.

I have not seen any evidence that the Society of Jesus had any role in the
operations of the Roman Inquisition on an official level.  If there had been
any individual Jesuits involved in the Holy Office, I do not know about such
a case.

P&B,
DT+LF

On 7/18/08, Jay Rudin <rudin at ev1.net> wrote:

> Oh, really!?!  And here all this time I thought the Jesuits were the
>> 'Founding Fathers' of the Inquisitions with the Benedictines not too far
>> behind.  They did some real damage in Japan, too, but that was out of
>> period.
>>

> The Spanish Inquisition was founded in 1478.  The Jesuits were founded at
> the University of Paris in 1534.  No, the Jesuits were not founders of the
> Inquisition.
>
> Is anybody else enjoying the irony?  This thread started with discussions
> of how some Christian groups misunderstand the SCA and make false
> statements.  We've come full circle, with SCA members misunderstanding some
> Christian groups and making false statements?
>
> I don't mean to pick on anyone in specific. We all fall into it sometimes.
> Maybe when we see our own mistakes in that direction, we can be more patient
> towards the people making the same kinds of mistakes about us.
>
> Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin
>
> "The brotherhood of man is no mere poet's fancy.  It is a most depressing
> and humiliating reality."
>         -- Oscar Wilde

Hwæt! We Gardena         in geardagum,
þeodcyninga,         þrym gefrunon,
hu ða æþelingas         ellen fremedon.
Oft Scyld Scefing         sceaþena þreatum,
monegum mægþum,         meodosetla ofteah,
egsode eorlas.         Syððan ærest wearð
feasceaft funden,         he þæs frofre gebad,
weox under wolcnum,         weorðmyndum þah,
oðþæt him æghwylc         þara ymbsittendra
ofer hronrade         hyran scolde,
gomban gyldan.         þæt wæs god cyning!

Beowulf, 1-11