[Ansteorra] Proposed change in waterbearing

Michelle Dodd lygabrielerdb at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 17 13:13:50 PDT 2008

This is an over reaction to someone's fear of germs and or a lawsuit. Everyone of us that participates in an SCA event has to sign a waiver to enter the event, either when we get our blue card or at "Gate".That waiver says in part;
"I understand that all activities are VOLUNTARY and that I do not have to participate unless I
choose to do so. I understand that these activities are potentially dangerous or harmful to my person or
property, and that by participating I voluntarily accept and assume the risk of injury to myself or damageto my property." (copied directly from the adult waiver on the SCA website.) Now maybe I am wrong, but I have always assumed(yes I know that is a dangerous word) that "all activities" means anything and everything I do at an event whether that is at a list field, an archery range, riding a horse, dancing at a hafla, taking a class or sitting at camp. If I choose to drink from communal water or eat pickle spears and orange slices from trays that are being passed around, that is My choice to make. As a rational adult person, I know that I could get sick from all sorts of different things. It might happen at an event, on the way there or on the way home. That doesn't mean it was caused By the event or that it could have been prevented by someone at the event doing something different. Or by that someone being "sanctioned" or not. My understanding, (another way of saying assumption) was that the reason waterbearing was made an office was to make sure that the volunteers who continually performed this service were given some recognition. As well as to make sure that there would be someone doing this very necessary job. Relying strictly on volunteers could be dangerous in the warmer climes such as an Ansteorran summer. People could think 'Oh So 'n' So and Such 'n' Such are doing it'. Instead of knowing who is running it & how to contact them to offer their services. There is no rational reason for "extremely strict governance" just to keep Waterbearing official.These are my thoughts and opinions.  Lady Gabriele Rene de Bernardmka Michelle Doddlygabrielerdb at hotmail.com