[Ansteorra] Proposed change in waterbearing

Kihe Blackeagle kihebard at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 17 14:58:09 PDT 2008

> Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 14:39:40 -0500> From: jeanpauldesens at gmail.com To: ansteorra at lists.ansteorra.org> Subject: Re: [Ansteorra] Proposed change in waterbearing> > On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 1:50 PM, Mike C. Baker <kihebard at hotmail.com> wrote:> > *Non-official* activity would mean no official monies, should most> > likely entail no use of local group storage for the storage of equipment> > and supplies between events, and would certainly lead to some rather> > peculiar wording required for the recognition of service to the Society> > for *non-official* service to the SCA.> > --snip--> > Adieu, Amra / ttfn - Mike / Pax ... Kihe> >> > SCA: (al-Sayyid) Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra, F.O.B, OSCA> > Amr, I don't think that's correct. Our groups spend much money on> "non-official" activities. Pavilions for example, are one. My> understanding of the rules are that for a group to spend money on it, it> must not benefit an individual, but should benefit the group.> > Oh, and it can't be alcohol or illegal stuff.> > JP
Sieur Jean-Paul, I will admit to possibly having over-stated the reach -- but will argue that group pavillions are *not* unofficial, as are many other bits of equippage such as feast preparation gear and lockboxes for gate-keeping, as they directly and indirectly contribute to our overall efforts.   The group owns such things, and uses them toward group goals.  The same with the equippage of the water-bearer.

Fortunately, at the least in my own mind, I have since come to a possible workaround that would still cover the waterbearing equipment, and possibly the expendable supplies as well, while functioning within the proposed rule change:  tuck it all under the cooking gear, and feast, categories as far as the financials are concerned *for the liquids involved*.  Actual "food" items would almost without doubt still require significant thought on an event by event, juridiction by jurisdiction, basis even then...

Sigh, the whole matter is a far more complex issue underneath the surface anyway.  Anyone else care to recall the iced/chilled liquids vs. non-iced/tepid brouhaha that had to be resolved, also due in large part to concerns over legalities, medically-related differences of opinion, and the like some years ago at interkingdom gatherings.  (I was not physically present, but I think it came to a particular head at Gulf Wars.  I would certainly welcome [positive] correction!)
Just in case I'm not being clear otherwise:  I support the waterbearers and their efforts, and -- _especially_ as a matter of established SCA custom -- believe strongly that they should not be marginalized, trivialized, or made non-official.  Simplest solution I've seen SO FAR may just be adding a clause to the waivers we already are forced to accept; possible extension that may make sense is the addition of stickers / tags with easily read warnings to "official" liquid-carrying and -dispensing equipment.

al-Sayyid Amr, with much yet to read and consider, and something more formal to compose for sending up the line...

(AND please allow me an "aw, heck" -- as far as the formalities go, I'm Amra, and I mention the title only because I gave JP his up above; kaniggit trumps simple bard most days, anyhow... the Knight is almost always certain of the ear of the Crown, the Bard only *knows* he has a voice to lend and can be fairly certain it will be heard where it may or may not yet be ignored, by some.  <VBEG>)
ttfn - Mike / Pax ... Kihe / Adieu, Amra Mike C. Baker / Kihe Blackeagle Opinions? I'm FULL of 'em SCA: al-Sayyid Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra, F.O.B, OSCA [and Moonschadeen!]"Other": Reverend Kihe Blackeagle PULC (the DreamSinger Bard) alt. e-mail: KiheBard at hotmail.com Buy my writings!: http://www.lulu.com/WizardsDen http://www.livejournal.com/users/kihebard/