[Ansteorra] Answers to Questions-Waterbearer proposal

Rose & Chad love at roseandchad.net
Fri Jun 20 14:25:55 PDT 2008

  Personal responsibility is a huge pet peeve of mine. I understand
that there are things that come up, but really, if you're competing in
a sport as demanding as fighting in the SCA (both light and heavy),
then you also need to be aware of the demands of your body and prepare to meet them, waterbearers or no. I apprecaite that someone is there to offer pickles and oranges and water, but I also know that I can walk back to my pavilion to supply my own. It's part of our event
planning, both as fighters and fighter support.

In cranky, creaky service,
Helena Dalassene
--
Blonde. It's not just a hair color; it's a way of life.

  I love waterbearing. Makes me feel like I'm giving something back to the SCA. I like it being part of the event cost because that's how it would have been done back then. Fighters didn't pack coolers with bottled water and fruits and food. Fighters depended on the hospitality of the Hat that was holding the tournament. Often, there were vendors for the crowd, but the Fighters and thier Ladies and entourage were fed and watered and, later on, feasted by the Hat in charge.

  Do I think fighters should be prepared? Yep, but I also feel that depending on waterbearing isn't much different than depending on feast for dinner, esp. because it probably has been worked into the site fee. For that matter, I buy taven when there is one because the more crap I have to pack, the less room I have for people that want to carpool, and the more likely that I will have to take the gas-guzzling minivan instead of the little Nissan. The more times I can't carpool and/or take the Nissan, the less events I can afford to go to.

  If we do switch to a Guild structure, I, for one, would be happy to pay for waterbearing, just as I pay for tavern and feast. So that, at least, is a thought, if we have to go that direction. (Crossing my fingers. *grin*) For that matter, I'd be happy to pay a Society Fee for use of waterbearing, that could go into a In The Event Of Fund for fines or lawsuits...

  R the O
  Who is just full of thoughts today.