[Ansteorra] Display of Award Regalia (was Jewelry question)

Hillary Greenslade hillaryrg at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 4 17:12:39 PDT 2008

Rhiannon o Goed Niwlog said:
"* My Sable Crane, stitched by Aeruin ni Herin, I passed to Lord Martin Hart of Wells (of blessed memory) who later passed it Mistress Jehanne d'Avignon.  As far as I know she still has it.  My Sable Thistle, beautifully painted on a horn medallion by someone unknown, I passed to Baroness Erika Segenlein. Except at peerage elevations, I rarely see awards passed on any more.  Has the tradition fallen into disuse?  Then again, if additional regalia had been requested at the time Don Diarmuid and I received our Stars of Merit from Queen Rowan, Her Majesty would not have had an excuse to tie us together with the garter, much to the amusement of the Court."

In part, I believe Rowan was asking for insignia to pass along as it was perhaps more special to the recipient to recieve an 'heirloom' with a history.  However, as Rowan's Sable Scroll for one of her reigns, I also know that Rowan asked for pass-along insignia from the local populace in part due to the fact that we didn't have much insignia in the Crown treasure box.
Quality and quantity Insignia donations from the populace are always welcome!  :-)
Cheers, Hillary