[Ansteorra] Memories of Sir Starhelm

Chris Zakes dontivar at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 15:25:11 PDT 2008

At 02:45 PM 6/25/2008, you wrote:

(snip)

>For those who knew my Brother, Sir Starhelm (of the quirky humour* and just
>lately back from the Big Sandbox), I regret to have to confirm that he has
>passed on. His heart failed while driving (luckily, his wife was able to
>take the wheel and get to safety). The army is honouring his wish to be an
>organ donor even as I type this.

(snip)

>*As an example of his humour, those of you who were at Pennsic one year may
>remember a squire walking around with a tabard on it with a man's face
>artfully depicted on the front and the words "My knight went to Turin and
>all I got was this lousy tabard" on the back.

I can recall Starhelm coming over from Meridies and playing at
Renfair and various Ansteorran events back in the old days.

My favorite Starhelm story was from when Meridies was a fairly new
kingdom. Sir Francois was king, and was trying to have a fairly
important discussion with a couple of Great Officers, but a rather
clueless newbie kept trying to interrupt them. Francois finally
stopped to see what it was the kid wanted. His question was "Sir
Francois, how do you keep your tights up?"

Exasperated, Francois said "thumbtacks" and went back to the meeting.

The poor newbie walked off, and the first person he met was Starhelm.
"Sir Starhelm," he asked, "why did Sir Francois tell me he uses
thumbtacks to keep his tights up?"

"Becauses he uses *inch long* thumbtacks" said Starhelm.

         -Tivar Moondragon