[Ansteorra] Memories of Sir Starhelm

Monalee R Kendall monaleekr at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 05:23:59 PDT 2008

I remember Starhelm from my first days in the SCA because he was considered
by Meridies to be a "Knight Errant". The story I heard was that the knights
felt Starhelm was one of them but he didn't want the accolade because he
would have to swear fealty and he was already in fealty to King Arthur.
Making him a master of arms was not an option so they came up with a
compromise. Starhelm would swear fealty until the time that Arthur returned
and then he would be released from fealty to go with King Arthur.

That sprang to my mind when reading of this sad news, that it was time to go
with Arthur.

Genevieve McCullum

On 6/25/08, Chris Zakes <dontivar at gmail.com> wrote:

> At 02:45 PM 6/25/2008, you wrote:
>
> (snip)
>
> For those who knew my Brother, Sir Starhelm (of the quirky humour* and just
>> lately back from the Big Sandbox), I regret to have to confirm that he has
>> passed on. His heart failed while driving (luckily, his wife was able to
>> take the wheel and get to safety). The army is honouring his wish to be an
>> organ donor even as I type this.
>>

> (snip)
>
> *As an example of his humour, those of you who were at Pennsic one year may
>> remember a squire walking around with a tabard on it with a man's face
>> artfully depicted on the front and the words "My knight went to Turin and
>> all I got was this lousy tabard" on the back.
>>

> I can recall Starhelm coming over from Meridies and playing at Renfair and
> various Ansteorran events back in the old days.
>
> My favorite Starhelm story was from when Meridies was a fairly new kingdom.
> Sir Francois was king, and was trying to have a fairly important discussion
> with a couple of Great Officers, but a rather clueless newbie kept trying to
> interrupt them. Francois finally stopped to see what it was the kid wanted.
> His question was "Sir Francois, how do you keep your tights up?"
>
> Exasperated, Francois said "thumbtacks" and went back to the meeting.
>
> The poor newbie walked off, and the first person he met was Starhelm. "Sir
> Starhelm," he asked, "why did Sir Francois tell me he uses thumbtacks to
> keep his tights up?"
>
> "Becauses he uses *inch long* thumbtacks" said Starhelm.
>
>        -Tivar Moondragon

It doesn't take all kinds there just ARE all kinds.