[Ansteorra] Question about looms and weaving

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Mar 23 13:11:08 PDT 2008

On Mar 23, 2008, at 1:02 PM, Darlene Vandever wrote:

> I know that warp weighted vertical looms were used in Scandinavia
> as were
> two beam looms. When did table looms and harness type cloth looms
> come on
> the scene? Also, were back strap looms ever used in Medieval Europe
> or were
> those strictly Asian and South American?
>
> --
> Annes

Lots of good questions. I'm afraid I can't answer them off the top of
my head, but I remember some of these being discussed over the years.
You might want to take a quick look through this Florilegium file:
looms-msg         (50K)  5/16/01    Medieval looms.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/TEXTILES/looms-msg.html

If anyone has written or would like to write an article describing
and comparing the different types of medieval looms, I'd love to have
it for the Florilegium.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas