[Ansteorra] Nordsteorra

Duncan Hepburn duncan at stormypetrel.org
Wed Mar 26 08:07:43 PDT 2008

Having just spent a lengthy vacation in the West, along with attending
their most recent Crown tournament, I can affirm Master Tivar's points.
I will also add that there are also some interesting branches here
called Palatine Baronies (baronies whose noble leaders are determined by
armored combat) and Marches (akin to our regions, but separated from the
mainstream parts of the kingdom by distance/geography).

 From my conversations in the West, I gathered that the principalities
in perpetuity here were established due to having gained a distinct
regional identity, rather than a desire to secede.

I think that here in Ansteorra, most people think of forming a
principality as being a secession from the kingdom. It is this split of
the kingdom that causes strong feelings and harsh words. Another option
would be as a just recognition of a region's cultural identity and bond
(which the North does have in spades). The Northern region really is
it's own distinct part of the kingdom, and has been for a long time
(decade +). In some places, that is enough to become a principality.

Duncan Hepburn
(who is loving his time in the West, but is ready to come home to Ansteorra)