[Ansteorra] History

Susan McMahill sueorintx at hotmail.com
Sun May 4 20:03:03 PDT 2008

Milady,

You are making a very large assumption that all newcomers want to have the same experiences that you and others like Her Grace had when you started with the SCA years ago. Many of the newcomers are looking for something else. In the group that I hang out with, I am a relative newcomer. I have just celebrated my sixth anniversary of playing with the SCA. I find plenty of magic in the SCA now. New people these days have much different backgrounds and experiences from those who began in the SCA when it was in its infancy and childhood. Some may still be looking for the same kind of experience you recall, but many are not.

It is far more important to help our newcomers find their own dream and what will meet their desires and needs within in the SCA than it is to try to make them fit in a mold that is twenty or more years old. Should you share your dream with a newcomer and they find it appealing, fine, but do not paint all newcomers with the same brush. Their dreams share different foci than yours or mine. It is for them to discover it, not be molded to it.

Living the dream....my own dream,

Lady Lyneya de Grey

Well-behaved women Seldom make history - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich