[Ansteorra] History

Susan McMahill sueorintx at hotmail.com
Mon May 5 04:09:29 PDT 2008

This too, I will have to disagree with. While I cannot say what the 'community' as you call it, was like 20 years ago, I think that many or most newcomers do find a sense of community in the current SCA as well. I know that I certainly do. What is frustrating, though, is to hear people continue to tell us that we 'shoulda been here yesterday.' That devalues the experiences that we are having now. Apparently our experiences aren't as good as we thought they were. Some of us are having a wonderful time....or at least we were until we were told how bad things are.

Times change, lifestyles change, society changes, and the Society has changed. That does not necessarily make it bad, but it does make it different. As a relative newcomer, I, and many like me are finding fulfillment, family, and all the things you old-timers that dream of the past, are saying are lacking. I am not saying that twenty or more years ago was not great, but that these days are not so bad, either. It's a matter of perspective and experience. Again as a relative newcomer (6 years), hearing people going on about the good old days without simply telling a tale, is kind of like watching a group of old fogies sitting on the front porch bemoaning fashions, television, everything. It's so easy to forget the positive things that have happened in technology, medicine, health, and everything else when you dwell in the past.

Within the SCA, our knowledge base has grown. Research sources have increased dramatically. The armor and equipment are safer. People are safer. The arts are in an amazing state. Our recreations are more accurate than ever before. Considering the fact that most people have less time to devote to this wonderful game, this is amazing! The future is now and it is not as bad as you make it out to be. There are more people in the SCA than ever before and the numbers continue to grow. Something must be going right. The thing is....you have to look forward into the past, not backwards.

Lyneya
Well-behaved women Seldom make history - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich