[Ansteorra] "Old School" fighters

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Thu May 8 14:11:09 PDT 2008

> Gunthar, I said "I'm sure they've picked up some new things..." didn't
> I? :)

I didn't mean it to sound like I was tweaking you. I think my point
was more along the lines of that even though we fought using new
techniques, the FEEL of the fights were what we remember from
the younger days.  Too often fighting seems more "professional"
or flashy over smashmouth power.

> Fighting style is a living, breathing thing, yes? Always evolving.
> Still, there are some things about fighting in general that always seem
> to come out on top when used vs. other techniques.

Of course. Physics is physics.  Fighting has changed for a couple of
reasons. The first being that armor standards have improved. We used
to fight with our hands back behind our heads not only to generate power
but because hand protection was negligible to non-existant.
Body armor, especially in Ansteorra was pretty minimal as well.
As our hands became pretty well invulnerable we became more inclined
to bring them forward.
Shield styles have varied for years with one or another style becoming
popular at the time.

Fighting also changed to counter the superior style at the time. Big shields
became common, then bigger shields, then fighters discovered they could
beat big shields with smaller ones. Backyard style became dominant then
Inman developed moves to counter Backyard which then developed moves
to counter Inman boxing style, etc....

Although other fighters use the right foot forward stance, mine is a bit different
and is one figured by Inman so as not to have to move so much. You know, for
us older folk.  :-)
BTW, Inman is now doing some of his old stance and moves and remembering
how fun it was and is still kicking butt.

> I'm not saying they *always have and always will* because different
> tools work differently for everyone.

I totally agree.
Just because my fighting style works for me does not mean it will work
for my students.  Each takes what works and adapts.

>I just know that it has been a very long time
> since I've been awed by a kill that came from a fancy new technique.
> Most of the time I see kills from the same shots we've been using for
> decades.

With so many fighters training several days a week all over the world,
I do wonder if there are any "new" techniques to be found. Or are they
old techniques being used in a new way.

> I know you work very hard to add new things into your fighting style,
> and I definitely wouldn't ever want to devalue that effort... but you
> can't convince me that these *new* things are the reason you've made it
> to the finals in god-knows-how-many Crown Tournaments.

They help. I have had to change my fighting as my body changes. No longer
can I get away with the "Vaseline Covered Helm" and slip shots or rely
on quickness. I'm slower now with less endurance. I've had to develop my
fighting and make changes. You are correct in that my fighting is still
basically "Gunthar" and I do use the skills developed in nearly 25 years
in armor. But now I'm learning to put those combinations together in
different ways.

>you can take the boy out of the old school, but
> you can't take the old school out of the boy.

Trust me, I'm old school. You should hear me in the Belted Circle.

Just Ol' Gunthar