[Ansteorra] Falling down

Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace sirlyonel at hotmail.com
Wed May 28 05:38:18 PDT 2008

Salut cozyns,

Mistress, I think you have the right idea: combatants in a tournament have to clearly acknowledge the blows dealt them. The audience--even if they hear someone at the end of an exchange shout "Good!"--can't tell who acknowledged what. You have a bunch of metal obscuring a view of your face, so no one can see your lips move. I absolutely favor a clear acknowledgement: a salute, a deep bow, weapon tips dropped to the earth. A nod is insufficient. A word is insufficient. Tournament combatants owe the crowd a clea--perhaps even dramatic--signal that they've lost a bout.

That said: my apologies to Centurion Othar, but I do not see the need for falling down. To be perfectly frank, it looks silly. Rarely do I see someone fall down without looking comical. Seriously, in so-called *high persona* events that reward such activities, how many Best Deaths have you seen that weren't actually the most ludicrous feigned death of the day?

I've heard the argument that a feigned death is a necessary end for the sake of accurate re-creation, but I've not seen any evidence that medieval tournament bouts were typically terminated in such a fashion. Traditions such as counted blows, ransom, crest removal, and the counted breaking of weapons, all argue against feigned death. Who can blame them?

I'll salute and loudly acknowledge my opponent's victory. I'll give a deep, sweeping bow and drop my weapons to the earth. But, unless the Crown specifically orders otherwise, I won't fall down--I won't feign death.

En Lyonel
Impedimentum via est
(The obstacle is the path)