[Ansteorra] thick rattan

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Apr 11 01:52:48 PDT 2009

What do you mean "role/roll" the edges? Do you mean to round them off?

If so, is there an SCA-wide rule which says what the minimum radius
should be?

For a shaved piece of rattan, is there a minimum width that it must
be? ie: 3 inches wide but only a half inch wide wouldn't go into a
grill, but that might deliver too sharp a blow.  Ummm. Well, I guess
it would go in sideways. So I guess the minimum in any direction is 1
1/2 inches.

Thanks,
   Stefan

On Apr 11, 2009, at 3:35 AM, jareuter1066 at sbcglobal.net wrote:

> Jovian,
>      I surely hope that you do not plan to shave that down to
> width. If you do PLEASE role the edges if you do. My first visit to
> Pensic ended up with a broken arm on a monday morning Drachenvald
> prize tourney back in 93'. A Locack squire with ( and I quote Sir
> Fin Kelly; two curved swords that looked like 2 x 4's in basket
> hilts ) we faught and after not being able to realy get a clean
> shot in on each other we set each other up for the obvious opening
> and he broke my right arm just behind the wrist. I had hardened
> saddle skirting vams with steal reiforcing them. Needless to say
> the Marshalet court said his weapons were not legal and they should
> not have been used. The squire had to roll the edges on the 3 inch
> rattan that he shaved down. Sooooo please for pitty sake be kind to
> your fellow fighters if you shave them down!
>
> Spent the rest of Pensic water bearing and watching some one fight
> with my armor all week with my arm in a cast.
>
> Have a good one..........every one!
>
> Baron Brian du Val
>
> Raven's Fort

--------